Getting the home adaptations we need is vitally important as they enable us to live comfortably and safely in our own homes. Every home is different and every need is unique so getting the right professional advice at the earliest stage is a vital first part of the process.

The Occupational Therapist assessment and report

That is where an Occupational Therapist comes in; your O.T is a professional who will know exactly how to assess every aspect of your home and your unique needs. Your Occupational Therapist will also have extensive knowledge of every daily living aid available across the entire home adaptations market.

Choosing your O.T

The first step is to find the right Occupational Therapist for you. At GB Electrical & Building Services we offer an in-house O.T service. Our consultant, Simon, has over twenty years of experience in his field along with a wealth of experience working with building regulations, primary care trusts, developers and community rehabilitation teams to name just a few.

Simon covers the entire county of Herefordshire, as well as its neighbouring counties. We work closely with him to deliver the complete package to our clients and to offer everything they need from day one until completion of your project, at the most competitive and fairest price possible.

Should you choose GB Electrical & Building Services for certain larger scale projects, such as wet room installations, we will endeavour to absorb the cost of the O.T assessment and report completed by our consultant within the overall cost of your project.

If however you decide to engage an Occupational Therapist of your own privately, then you can search for all registered O.T’s practicing in Herefordshire and the neighbouring counties through the Royal College of Occupational Therapist’s online directory here or by calling them directly on 020 3141 4600.

If you are planning to apply for the Disability Facilities Grant you will need to get an NHS OT referral to be eligible to apply for the grant.

What to expect from your Occupational Therapist assessment?

Your assessment will involve a visit to you in your home. A discussion to find out what you might need to support you and a careful look at your home before the report is created. If your O.T isn’t working for the local authority or the NHS it can often be a faster process than waiting for a local authority assessment.

The next steps

Once you have obtained your O.T report and have a much clearer idea of the size and scope of your tailored adaptations, you will also have a clearer idea of the budget involved. It is important at this stage to learn about the possible funding options you might be eligible for.

The most common grant available is the Disabled Facilities Grant, it is a means-tested grant to help towards the costs of the living aids you might need to make your home more accessible, it might include living aids such as:

  • Stair lifts
  • Showers and bathroom adaptations, including non-slip flooring
  • Ramps or half steps
  • Grab rails and stair rails
  • Doorway widening work for improved wheelchair access

We have compiled a useful in-depth article on who to contact in the Herefordshire area for information regarding the DFG grant which can be found here.

There are other funding options also available, should you not be eligible for the Disabled Facilities Grant, if you are in the Herefordshire area, you can find more information and contact details here.

To learn more about our in-house Occupational Therapist service, funding options or our wide range of home adaptations. Get in touch today.